So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36
The Basic Bible Truth
We have incredible freedom in Christ. As Christians, serving God is an amazing condition to experience. The fences that keep us in, the rules God gives us to live by, are for our safety as well. They keep unwanted things from coming into our lives.
Small US Flag “Occupied” Sign Pendulum 3-4 Feet Of Rope 5 Feet Of Log Chain And A Heavy Lock “$100% Off” Sign Roll of 2 Inch Masking Tape Tea Bags Large Jorgenson Style Wood Clamp “Heaven Or Hell” Sign
This lesson is a look at the various dictionary definitions of the word “free”, and how they might apply to the Christian in everyday life.
I have provided a basic outline of the dictionary definitions and how they impact our lives and our walk with God.
1. United States flag (Everyone stands and sings the national anthem through to the phrase, “and the land of the free”. Then stop abruptly and have everyone sit down.) A. Liberty and freedom bounded by laws B. Immense freedom in Christ, within the boundaries of God’s law
2. Occupied sign A. Not in use-free B. Not preoccupied with worries and concerns
3. Pendulum (A large pendulum swinging from the ceiling is a nice touch) A. Free-swinging, uninhibited B. God puts us in position and into motion—but we sometimes want to hold back
4. Rope tied to a chair (Find a volunteer, have then sit on the chair, and then tie their leg to one end of the rope and the other end of the rope to the chair. Then untie their leg.) A. Free end of the rope B. We should not tie ourselves to our stuff
5. Chains and lock (Again, grab a volunteer and genuinely bind them down to the chair. Then release them from their bondage.) A. Set free B. No more bondage to sin
6. 100% off sale sticker A. No cost-free B. Salvation is at no cost
7. Tape over the mouth (A volunteer is needed again. I usually pick a guy for this one. A wide piece of masking tape is firmly placed over the mouth. The blue, low stick tape will come off easier. I then explain to the audience that I will now remove the tape. I ask them if I should do it slowly, or just rip it off. They usually say rip it off!) A. Freedom of speech B. We need to tell others about God
8. Lipton tea bags (I explain that we are going to re-enact a famous moment from history. A volunteer is handed the tea bags and told to throw them one at a time out in front of them. What great historical moment are we watching but the Boston Tea Party.) A. Boston Tea Party—tarrifs, free trade B. We serve by choice out of love
9. Vice on the head (Another volunteer is seated and the huge wood clamp is placed on the sides of his head and as I begin tightening the clamp, genuine pain will result. I am very careful at this point to cause no harm. I then remove the clamp.) A. Free from pain B. We are free from the pain of guilt and are content
10. Heaven/Hell sign A. A choice to make B. We are given a free will to choose